Sunday, January 01, 2006

Same as the Last - Except Evenly Divisible by 59!

So, it’s my first post of the new year, and…I have no idea what that means. Well, I kind of get what it means, like, lots of dip yesterday (woo!), and we’re going around the sun again (woo?) and that our only reward for changing the channel when Carson Daly came on, last night, was Ryan Seacrest (eh). But…I don’t know, Linus – I guess I never really understood the true meaning of New Year’s…

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’ve had parties for much stranger reasons (or, more accurately, for much stranger awesome, weekend-long TV-marathon events with the cousins, and also this one time when we watched Harry Potter – yes, there was themed food. And photos.) And also, it’s my sister’s birthday, so I’m probably going to get in trouble for even thinking about questioning the sanctity of December 31st, once she reads this. And, hey, counting backwards is always fun for a change, but…New Year’s Eve still never fails to weird me out, with everyone hugging like it’s graduation, acting like they’re not going to see each other on the other side of midnight, and then that formidable, looming countdown in the corner of the screen, all leading up to those ten seconds where you feel like you’re supposed to be feeling something important, but you’re not, because all you’re feeling is…like you’re supposed to be feeling something important. And also a little sad for Dick Clark, this year (which is also last year). And that champagne is gross.

Oh, and then? People cry. That is…what is…why do people cry? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, like, if you want to come cry around me for reasons that I don’t get but obviously mean a lot to you, feel free to do so no matter what day of the year it is. (I know, awww, can we keep going, now?) And, actually, I’d almost understand people breaking into tears at midnight because, yeah, January sucks. But, for some reason, I just don’t think that’s why they’re crying, so…it all just adds to the general weirdness of New Year’s Eve. Really, I…don’t even know what to say about it. Tears and hugs, every year, and then we come out at 12:01 feeling about the same. Except my shoulder is soggier.

Which I know sounds like the typical, cynical, “who cares about the new year” argument, which isn’t exactly what I’m trying to say. But then, I guess I don’t even know what I’m trying to say, so…some first post of the new year, eh? I probably should’ve wrote more about the dip.

Oh, and how are they going to make those goofy New Year’s glasses once there’s no zero-zero to work with, in the middle? 2010 – now that’ll be an interesting transition.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

commenting right now just to say -- SPINACH DIP!!!!!

I spent a good part of my evening right in front of something that looked just like that picture... minus the veggie plate, of course!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hey...you know, I just might have seen you there! Brown eyes, about my height, holding a Bugles corn chip, original flavor?

I knew it.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a pretty spot-on description of me, I must say. I can't believe we were sharing the same bowl of spinach dip and didn't even realize it until now! What a small world...

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home