Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Daniel and Rupert, Let's Be Friends!

I love New York (I’ve got the t-shirt to prove it) – really, I’ll jump at any excuse to go (It’s a weekend – let’s go to the city! It’s Lincoln’s birthday – let’s go to the city! I saw a tree – let’s go to the city!). So, the new Harry Potter movie was having its big-US-premiere-thing, over the weekend (yeah, that’s where this is heading), and, well, we weren’t not curious about what that kind of thing looked like (if by “that kind of thing” you mean Hermione-in-person, because omg!1!!11!!! KIDDING.) And so, we decided on a Saturday in the city (“we” meaning “me and those-who-I-won't-drag-into-this-since-they-didn’t-sign-the-papers”). And what did that kind of thing look like? (I love parentheses.)

Well, you know those videos they always show of Beatles fans way-back-when, with the screaming and the trembling and then some girl always faints, who’s probably wearing glasses, and must be at least a little bit embarrassed that it was caught on film, these days? (“I just…didn’t eat breakfast that morning! I was screaming ‘Ringo Starr-vation.’ It’s a disease – here, have a wristband!”) Yeah, it looked kind of like that, except with less cardigan sweaters. An entire block, packed. People brought chairs. There were signs. It was weird. And awesome. Except for the news cameras, which were less awesome, because we’re not like them, I swear! We just went because it was there! We were there in the third-person! I haven’t worn my Gryffindor scarf in weeks, at least!

Oh, and then – being in the minority, gender-wise and also clearly incapable of doing whatever it is normal people do on a Saturday (not that I’m complaning – mine are way better) – I saw the inside of The American Girl Store, which, I don’t know if you’ve ever been to a place full of little girls who are all carrying smaller, more-lifeless little girls, the soulless eyes of which bob up and down at you while you slowly realize that the men’s-room-to-ladies’-room ratio in that building is seriously out-of-whack, but…well, I don’t like judging things that clearly aren’t made for me in the first place, but yeah.

Also: The big tree is almost up, the skating rink is already packed and slippery and slapsticky as ever, and I got proposed to on a street corner – NO – I got proposed next to on a street corner. I have got to stop forgetting the most important words in things. And then typing another sentence instead of just backspacing, which would seem like the most logical way to correct that kind of mistake…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home