Sunday, June 11, 2006

OMG! Rory And Jess 4eVeR!!!111!!1!!1!!!!

The What I'm Whatevering List (Part Two)
because I know you care...

What I'm Watching- TV on TV Edition: With less TV on, right now, I guess I could use this space for some season-ending wrap-up, so let’s talk about Gilmore Girls. Because I know that the general consensus was that this season was disappointing, and, on most accounts, I agree. Though I did like the rift that started off the season, as well as Rory’s Screwed Up Education Plans (some of us don’t go directly from high school to four straight years of college, television), the wrap-up of both of those storylines was just a little too easy for all of the build up that preceded it. And, unfortunately, those storylines weren’t wrapped up to make way for something better, because: First of all, Logan is a complete drain on the show, second of all, Rory is completely unlikable for about 90% of the past two seasons (and she used to be so cool, too!) and third of all, really, long lost daughters? While I actually liked the character (which was a nice surprise), that’s exactly the kind of plot line the characters on this show would normally make fun of, not experience. Also, I really thought that the writers were going to bypass the keeping of ‘em separated in favor of letting Luke and Lorelai get married and proving that a show can exist after the “will they or won’t they” becomes “they will!” but…guess not. It’s just disappointing that they decided to get so soapy, this year, because this show used to be one of the most comfortable things on TV, and they were usually pretty good at creating, uh, dramedy out of relatively regular things (loans, oversleeping on test day, etc.). But, all of that said, even when the storylines disappoint on this show, the lines rarely do, and if we find out Emily has a long-lost son, next year, I’ll keep watching so long as the characters keep saying really awesome things and having at least one really good argument every five episodes or so. Also, it’s pretty cool that the writers have established their characters so well that they can now hand over entire plotlines to characters like Lane and Paris and not have it seem weird.

What I'm Watching- TV on DVD Edition: Wonder Showzen: Season One. If you’ve heard anything about it, “anything” is probably that it’s MTV2’s “outrageous parody of Sesame Street.” Which I actually think is selling it short, because: A. Anybody who’s under eight or over fifteen years-old knows that Sesame Street is too cool to make fun of, and, personally, I think that what they’ve created is more of a really twisted homage than it is a parody, and B. They actually earn a fair amount of their laughs in ways other than the, “My word, did they just say that? And on a program that looks like a kids show, no less!” and, at least from what I’ve seen, even the outrageous parts are less “dirty” than they are just…very wrong, most of the time (which is good, because I don’t love “dirty”). So, yeah, if you’re into “very wrong,” you’ll love this, and if you’re not, you’ll love it in spite of yourself. Oh, and “Beat Kids” is fairly AWESOME.

What I'm Playing: Halo 2 (Xbox). I hardly got into this, until now. And in the past few days, I’ve gone from “awful” to, well, not “good,” but at least “functional,” online. So, if you want, leave your gamertag, and once I’m at least “alright,” we could play on Live. The future is now!

Last Book I Read: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It’s one of those “unsuspecting fool goes in and out of the lives of others, accidentally affecting the lives of those around him” books. (Which I think there’s a word for…Picaresque, maybe?) And it was good. Maybe very good, but, to no fault of its own, this book was one of those ones that ended up taking me almost three months to get through, but it’s at least good enough that I want to read it through in a more concentrated period of time, sometime. But if you’re going to read it, you might want to avoid the critic-quotes that are all over the back cover and inside, as they’re kind of mega-hypey, which, expectations, and all that…

What I'm drinking: Water. It’s nature’s Gatorade!

Background noise: The Gilmore Girls soundtrack. It’s been out for a long time, now, but it’s still a terrific album, especially for something that they must have figured not many people would know existed, in the end. So go get it! It’ll make you happy! And maybe sad, depending on the song!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home